Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sitting on "I don't know"...

Enduring the unknowns can be a draining experience for most of us. Whether you are waiting for the results of a test, or the outcome of a possible job,we tend to want the answers now.

In the waiting we can learn patience and gain wisdom and allow our inner sorting process to happen naturally...in other words sitting with our "I don't know" and not forcing ourselves into making commitments or decisions before we really know what is best.

Over my life I have always been uncomfortable in the unknowns. When will it happen, what will it be like, will he or she be safe, what is the outcome of decision I just made?  Unknown answers can consume you and your spirit.

So how do we live in the unknowns? I think our task while waiting in the unknowns is to accept the process as creative and productive. I have found my walk with God to be the most trusting place I can be in the waiting period. Most of our answers will unfold from an internal questioning period in which the only honest and authentic reality is  "I don't know." And that is okay. Before you make a decision, especially a life changing one, you may need to sit in the "I don't know" phase for awhile.

The reason we say "I don't know" is that we really don't know.  Otherwise you would have a quick yes or no answer. So that little nagging and unsettling feeling can be a time to gather the information necessary to make valid decisions.

Although sitting with our "I don't knows" may feel like an endless free-fall, we must trust God on the way down, for He is the only one who can help you up. Without trust you question your faith, and when you question your faith you may lose God.

Be gentle and kind with yourself. Don't be in such a hurry. Life goes by fast enough, enjoy the journey and all it brings.


So if you are in the "I don't know" today, rest easy, trust wholeheartedly, and start trusting yourself to make good decisions...and above all call on God to lead the way.

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. (2 Cor.4:18)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gerri's Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Author Gerri Galiffa

Popular Posts